LOS ANGELES — The JACL Nominations and Elections Committee is pleased to announce those individuals who have submitted candidate applications to run for the National JACL Board of Directors in this year’s upcoming elections.
The candidates are:
- National President: Gary Mayeda, a member of the APAN Chapter
- VP for General Operations: Chip Larouche, a member of the Portland Chapter
- VP for Public Affairs: Jeffrey Moy, a member of the Washington, D.C., Chapter
- VP for Planning & Development: Matthew Farrells, a member of the Twin Cities Chapter
- National Youth/Student Council Chairperson: Kota Mizutani, a member of the Washington, D.C., Chapter
- This does leave a number of National Board positions without candidates. Those positions are:
- National Secretary/Treasurer
- VP for One Thousand Club, Membership & Services
- National Youth/Student Council Representative
Nominations and Elections Committee Chairperson Kent Kawai stated, “We are excited that these individuals have stepped forward and fulfilled the requirements to run for national office. The committee has reviewed the applications and declared them official candidates, who may now commence their campaigns.”
Although the initial filing deadline has passed, those who wish to run for a position on the National Board may still do so. These candidates must run “off-the-floor” and shall be required to meet additional criteria as a late filer.
Candidate forms and instructions for running off-the-floor are available on the JACL website (www.jacl.org).
Added Kawai: “I do encourage JACL members to run for national office to provide for contested races and to ensure all positions on the board are filled. The more candidates we have, the more choices the membership shall have in selecting its leadership for the coming biennium.”
Those elected shall serve a two-year term for the 2016-18 biennium and shall be installed into office at the JACL National Convention, which is set to take place at the Monte Carlo Resort and Casino from July 11-14.
For more information on the nominations and elections process, contact Chairperson Kent Kawai at email@example.com.